Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Fall 1009

I was so glad to hear from a favorite classmate: Charlotte Barnard emailed with an update on a special alumni get together she had last July and the May reception for President Sullivan held in NYC:
"I didn’t make it to my class’s 30th reunion last year. Though I did enjoy a reunion with my Junior Year Abroad group. Last July,
Linda Carbone ‘78 organized a lunch in NYC at Artisinal restaurant and classmates came from all over the continent for a long weekend.
Diane Doty from Canada, Cheryl Fontaine and Pat Vietch from California, Connie Colton, Janice Randall Rohl (’78) and Barb Thompson Snow from New England,
Margaret Piper from Michigan, Pat Fuller from Florida, Wanda Lucibello, Olena Polishchuk Care, and yours truly from nearly every corner of New York gathered to
remember France circa ’76 and enjoy a good Brie and a lot of red wine. Our advisor for that year, M. Pierce, traveled from Philadelphia. Rip Westmoreland happened to
be at the restaurant having lunch with his wife, Susan, and he joined us for a bit of reminiscing.

"There was a mini reunion of sorts at the SLU Reception held May 5th at the Hearst Tower to say thank you and farewell to President Sullivan and his wife, Ann.
Again, Larries traveled from near and far, including Bruce Carlisle ('78) from San Francisco, Lynn Ruane Tuttle from the Time/Life Building, as well as other '78ers Chris Roller, Sue Ferguson and Gordon Gannon.
Due to weather, the plan to travel down to Little Italy and dine at Puglia (a popular destination for a group of the class of ’77 when we first arrived in NYC, right Lynn?) was aborted for a late supper at Bricco across the street.
There, the above-mentioned were joined by Steve Whitter ('?), Tad Acker ('78?), and Marianne Eisenmann ('78), as well as Andy Whittier from the SLU Development office to share a large table and more than a few bowls of pasta.
Anyone who has a hankering to get together with alumni and can’t wait for a school-sponsored event should contact Lynn and Warren Tuttle. They host a football party every October at their home, and they get a huge alumni turnout.
Then of course there’s Facebook. It's nice to know so any have held on to photos of our school years!"
Thanks, Char - your news almost makes up for you missing our 30thReunion...okay, you're forgiven - hope to see you soon!

I was also excited to hear from one of my freshman roommates in Carnegie, Robin Schulte, who I admit I'd lost touch with - but through a small comedy of
errors I was able to connect with her via email. She wrote, "I'm in Portland, Maine, where I've been for about 10 years. I moved from New Jersey with my husband Jim who is the head golf professional at a private golf club. We've been married
12 years, no kids but we have a great dog. I'm a computer programmer at Sappi - a paper company. I've been a programmer since we graduated and am seriously ready to retire but this probably isn't a good time for it, I do triathalons and keep busy with swimming, biking and running.
I haven’t been back to St. Lawrence since we graduated but I enjoy looking at the Magazine to catch up with alumni and see if I remember anyone in the pictures
(sometimes I do). I kept in touch with Debbie Newman for a long time but have lost touch in the last 5 years or so."
Robin, it was great to hear from you - and the gauntlet is passed to Debbie! Check in with us - we'd love to hear how you've been.

Trudy Hall, Head of Emma Willard School in Troy, New York, was selected by the Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities as a member of their 2009 Alumni Hall of Distinction. The Commission created the Alumni Hall of Fame in 2000
to recognize graduates of New York's independent colleges and universities who have made extraordinary contributions through their careers and community involvement. Trudy has been Emma Willard's head since 1999. Congratulations, Trudy!

As for me, I spent May and June in double graduation mode - my son Drew graduated from the College of William & Mary and my daughter Tekla graduated from hig school. She heads to the University of Mary Washington in August.

No comments: